Disclaimer:

The opinions presented in this blog are my own and may not necessarily reflect those of the Peace Corps

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Staging

On May 31st I arrived in DC for a two day orientation.  DC was the perfect place to start getting used to Africa for several reasons.  It was nearly 100 degrees out, I saw a lot of black people, and (most importantly) I met my fellow volunteers.

The Orientation was helpful, but it was hanging out with a group of 22 new volunteers (a relatively small group) that gave me an idea of what is to come.  My new friends will be my support group during my Mali adventure.  They will also be my social outlet and a reminder of my American personality.  So I guess its a good thing that I like them.  They are pretty much what I expected a group of 22 Mali volunteers to be like. 



We are all in our early 20s except for Renate.  This is her second time doing Peace Corps.  The first time was in Nigeria in 1963.  That's hard core! (Photo courtesy of Maria Harris)
 
I have been in Mali for 24 hours now.  It feels like home already, really.  The training staff is awesome.  We have already had some cross cultural training and language training.  Any doubts I had about spending 2 years in Mali have been pushed to the side... but I'm sure they will resurface from time to time.

My cell number for the next 9 weeks will be 223-71689664

My address for the next 9 weeks will be:
Matthew English, PCT
Corps de la Paix
B.P. 85
Bamako, Mali  West Africa

1 comment: